22-23 Lollipops Concerts
Children’s Books and Classical Music presented at your local library. A Greenville staple for more than 40 years, Lollipops combines a storybook narrated by Traysie Amick with live classical music. 10:00 AM first location and 11:30 AM second location. Click on the book title to register:
- October 15, 2022: “Tito Puente – Mambo King, Rey Del Mambo” presented in English and Spanish to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month. Hughes Main Library and Greer Library. Special Guest: Leesa Brotherton.
- December 10, 2022: “Georgia Music”. A special GSO commission, world premiere performance of music by Jon Grier for wind quintet. Hughes Main Library and Taylors Library.
- January 14, 2023: “The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky’s Abstract Art”. Greer Library and Five Forks Branch.
- March 4, 2023: “Moses Goes to a Concert” An American Sign Language (ASL) book presented by ASL interpreters Callie Marsh and Tonya Smith. Hughes Main Library and Greer Library.
- April 22, 2023: “Chin Yu Min and the Ginger Cat”. Hughes Main Library and Simpsonville Library.
- May 13, 2023: “Mr. Mergler, Beethoven, and Me”. Berea Library (10:00 AM).
Sponsored by BMW Manufacturing, Lollipops is a free program presented by Greenville Symphony Orchestra musicians at Hughes Main Library and satellite locations. The program introduces classical music and orchestral instruments to preschoolers and elementary aged children.
As our longest-running education program assisted by the Guild, Lollipops has fostered music appreciation through active listening and engagement in the local community for over 50 years. A lollipop is handed out after every concert.
Once Upon An Orchestra
Making Music with the Animals…and a Monster
Held on select Tuesdays at 11:00 AM at the South Carolina Children’s Theatre and led by actress and teaching artist Traysie Amick. Free, register below:
- March 14, 2023: “Ferdinand the Bull” featuring music by Alan Ridout for solo violin and narrator.
- April 18, 2023: “The Gruffalo” featuring the principal flute of the symphony.
- May 9, 2023: “The Grumpy Monkey” featuring the percussionist of the symphony.
A collaboration between South Carolina Children’s Theatre (SCCT) and the Greenville Symphony Orchestra, Once Upon an Orchestra is a free performance that engages young listeners and their attending family members with a dramatic blend of music, narrative, acting and movement.
Once Upon an Orchestra is held at SCCT headquarters in downtown Greenville, located at 153 Augusta St.